Thursday, June 17, 2010

And so it begins...

FET #2 is underway. I started bcp on Tuesday. (AF finally showed up on cd39, Sunday) I saw my RE on Monday. The waiting room was totally packed! It was awful. There was a lady whose phone kept going off every 2 mins. There was a lady with her husband and 4 yr old son. (I’m not a huge fan of kids in an RE office, sorry.) Then there was the super skinny lady pulling receipts out of her wallet and balancing her checkbook. And not just a few. Like 30+. When I finally got called back I told rude coordinator that my bp may be high because of the waiting room, “Well it’s Monday morning. What did you expect?!?” I wanted to knock her upside the head. Then after she takes my bp I ask her what it was. No answer. She turns around about a min later and says, “Did you ask me something?” Yes rude lady, I would like to know what my bp was!

The RE comes in a few min later and answers my questions. Apparently they do grade the embryos and give out pictures if you ask for them. Don’t know why any woman wouldn’t want that kind of info. So I asked him about our last transfer and he said one was an A and the other was like an F. Ok, good to know.

Also they freeze the embryos in sets of 3, so they will only take 3 out to thaw at a time. It looks like they will transfer back all 3 if they thaw properly. I was a little nervous about that, but they won’t re-freeze any. So I would rather them be in me if they have any chance. So that could potentially give us 3 more tries at a FET. He did say if they thaw out one set and none survive they quickly thaw another. I would hate to go through the prep and have nothing to transfer. My transfer should happen the week of August 2nd. Oh and he didn’t even give me my schedule. They were so busy he said he would have rude coordinator call me in a few days to get it all set up. After all, I am an “old pro at this now”. (His words)

Mostly I am feeling optimistic about this cycle. I feel like since these are day 1 embies they are more like fresh ones. (At least that is what the RE has told me.) I have been sick the last few days, so I haven’t really had the chance to let it sink in that we are back in the saddle. Truthfully, I wouldn’t want it any other way. Waiting to cycle is hard. I am not one of those girls who just relaxes and enjoys the time off. It is always on my mind. I think I am finding more peace in this cycle now that I have been through it already. Last time I was so scared and didn’t even know what to ask, embryo grade, pics, etc. Now I do kind of feel like an “old pro”. I know not to drink as much water. I am also going to ask about Valium before the transfer. That seems to be pretty normal thing to be given to help the uterus relax. Any opinions on this? Plus last time I was so tense, my RE asked me to relax my bottom. I’m sure it was not the most welcoming environment for our embies.

Looking back I am glad things turned out the way they did. I would love to be pregnant right now, but it wasn’t meant to be. Now I can go into this transfer calm and ready. I just feel so blessed we have 9 more tries. 9 more little ones that could possibly be our baby!


  1. I'm so glad to hear your optomism!! You really sound like you're totally in the right mindset for this to REALLY BE SUCCESSFUL!!!! I truly believe that our attitudes and physical states (relaxed vs. tense) really have more power than we usually give them credit for. You sound great considering what A-Holes they sound like at your RE's office. Man! Our clinic was the same way. I always found it so amazing that thier office was totally void of emotional they not rememeber what it is we're being treated for? I mean this is serious sh*t!! We're not getting our teeth cleaned...we're making BABIES people!!!! Have a soul please!!! Whatever...guess it just makes us stronger in the end. Try to ignore their negative energy and stay focused on your self and your 3 beautiful frozen embies that they will be transfering!!

    Oh and I couldn't agree more...children should NOT be allowed in those waiting rooms. It's just miserable for those still fighting to conceive their first!!!!

    Stay strong and positive!!! I think you're awesome and I am definitely sending prayers your way every day!!!!!!!!


  2. Glad to hear you're getting started! Your clinic sounds...less than enthusiastic, no? That's a shame - you'd think they'd understand that a little support goes a long way with their patients!
    And yes, I am NOT a fan of children in RE waiting rooms. UGH.

  3. I'm so glad to hear that you're up at bat again. As far as the transfer, yes, it's completely normal to be tense and I have done transfers with and without valium. I would definitely ask for the meds. And, the best advice for the water drinking that I've been given was by a nurse who said "we want it to be as if you're at the mall and you think to yourself, I'm going to have to pee in the near future, but I can still go in a couple of stores before I have to find the bathroom. Not "I have to find a bathroom NOW or I'm going to pee my pants right here in the mall."
    I always have to go let a little out because of all the waiting. Oh and ask your RE to cath you after the transfer so that you can relax immediately after and won't be trying to "hold it." Best of luck to you!

  4. Will be praying that this is the perfect time for your little one(s) to snuggle in tight!!